The month of July has been really busy for me with photo shoots, meetings, travel and my birthday. With one week left before we go on holiday I decided to give myself this week to feel relaxed and balanced before going away. I have a lot to catch up on but I am also giving myself time to do things I love like yoga, reading, cooking and seeing friends.
At the end of a busy period I always like to evaluate how things have gone and make some goals for what I want from the next months. While thinking about this I came across a blog post by one of my favourite bloggers Karen Walrond on Chookooloonks who wrote a post about eight thinks she has learnt since her last birthday. As it was recently my birthday I thought it appropriate to give it a go myself.
Since leaving university and entering the ‘adult world’ two years ago I feel like I have learnt a lot about myself and the directions I want to go in. So I decided my list refers to the past 12 months between turning 23 and 24.
Things I have learnt…
1. Be happy with my natural body shape. I used to always want to be skinny but in the past year I realised it is so much better to be slim, toned and strong. I have a good body weight and now I love where I have curves too. Of course there are areas (like my abs) I want to improve, but my goals are to tone them up instead of trying to loose weight. Eating healthy and exercising regularly And feeling good is more important.
2. Building from that I now LOVE exercise. Don’t get me wrong I still hate the gym! But I have learnt I love exercising outside and now do a combination of yoga, cycling or swimming five times a week. My body feels great but it’s so good for de-stressing my mind too.
3. Comparing myself to others is a waste of time. I now know where I want to take my life and career and I have set goals to help myself get there. As long as I am achieving those and feeling happy in the process then it doesn’t matter what everyone else is doing. I can just sit back and feel happy for them instead of comparing and feeling bad.
4. Working towards my goals slowly has better results in the long term. Since moving to Italy I noticed the attitude they have of working towards goals a little bit at a time, instead of trying to do everything all at once. The phrase Rome wasn’t built in a day applies here. When I started thinking about how I could apply it to my own life I noticed I became much better at sticking at things because I was setting myself for realistic goals. It might take a longer, but by doing a little everyday I am much more productive and focused.
5. Don’t do things to try and keep other people happy, but make my decisions based on what feels right for me.
6. Loving and appreciating the amazing friends I have. Even if I live far away from them we are still so connected and close and that makes me happy.
7. Making time for the things I love (yoga, cooking, reading, cycling, travel, music) is so important for a happy lifestyle.
Things I want to learn/do before turning 25…
1. More yoga. Since starting in May I am loving the effect on my body and mind and want to keep up my four lessons a week.
2. More Italian. I just got to keep getting better.
3. Become more selfless. Helping people, getting involved with charities, following a good cause… I feel like I need to do more to help other people.
4. Scuba Dive at least once. Because I love it and I never do it.
Like what you read… Don’t forget to follow me on Blog Lovin!